Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Player's Perspective: Being a Clutch Player

This is a player's perspective entry by Lindsey LeCuru. I asked her to consider the following questions and write a response from her perspective:

What is your definition of a clutch player?

I think a clutch player is someone that the whole team can rely on to do their job, and that teammates can look up to in difficult situations. Being a clutch player doesn't mean you have to get big hits every time you're at the plate, it's the key hits that matter. A sacrifice bunt that moves a runner from second to third is just as good as hitting a home run in some cases, because then the next batter might just get a hit to score that person in. A great coach once told me "I want you to cheer for them when they strike out as loud as you would when they get a home run." I think that's a good piece of advice, because not everyone is going to get a hit every game, but if your teammates help you when you're down you're more likely to get a hit the next time rather than striking out.

When you are in a clutch situation, what is going on in your head? What gives you your confidence?

Personally, I just try to concentrate on the ball. Not anything going on in the stands or the field. I just do what my coach tells me and try my best. My confidence comes from me knowing that I'm going to do the best I can no matter what it takes.

If you do not succeed in a clutch situation, does it destroy you or encourage you to be even better the next time? Explain your thoughts.

If I would happen to strike out instead of hitting the game winning run in, I try to stay positive instead of bringing the whole team down. Sure, I might be upset but I try to take that and build that frustration into determination to get a hit the next time.

If the game is on the line, do you want to be the one at the plate, or the one that the ball is hit to? Why?

I think it could be either way. If you're in the field and you make the winning catch or you throw the person out to win the game, it's a feeling like no other. But offensively if you get the winning hit is awesome too. I think either way you're going to have the same amount of pressure to do good. You should just try your best and do the things you were taught and hope it works out in the end. If you happen to mess up it's ok. One mistake is not going to change your softball career, even thought most people think it will. Just have fun and don't worry about what people will think. Can't wait for HHS SOFTBALL '08!! :)

-Lindsey LeCuru

2 comments:

Coach Crutcher said...

I like Lindsey's definition of a clutch player, "a player the team can rely on to do their job, and look to in difficult situations." She doesn't say they HAVE to have a positive result. Some keys that I think Lindsey makes that are important are: being positive, focused, and confident. If a player has these attributes, they give themselves the best chance to succeed in any and every situation. Excellent thoughts Lindsey!

Crazy Crutchers said...

clutch is being Robert Horry! not the star of the team by any means but every team he has ever been on if there was a big shot that needed to be made and it landed in his hands you can be almost guaranteed it was going to go in and all the hopes of every Kings fan that were crushed by him can attest to that.