Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What is most important?

Another season has come and gone and I know I have been really slacking on my posts. As I begin to reflect on the season my mind has become fixed on the question, "What is most important?" When I was a younger coach I would have immediately answered, "Wins and losses!" Now, I find myself looking more at the team and what they have accomplished together, and I look at the individuals who make up the team and how they have progressed through the season and through the years. The seniors have especially sparked my thoughts. From freshman to seniors they have changed immensely. And, change does not only come in the form of softball skill, but as people. This brings me back to my original question, "What is most important?" As a coach and a teacher my greatest sense of accomplishment is seeing the transformation of my players as people. The passion, hard work, commitment, competitiveness, and emotion throughout all of the practices and games helps to form the person they are and are continuing to become. I enjoy seeing the freshman who stood in the background become the senior that all of the other players look to and look up to. The more and more I reflect on the season, the less it becomes about the game of softball and the more it becomes about the softball players. I have enjoyed the season and look forward to preparing for the next, but for now I continue to think of my players and how proud I am of them, and how thankful I am that they let me be a part of their team.

No comments: