Monday, May 12, 2008

Heart, Focus, Determination, Courage........Character

I was sent a story that recently took place at Pepperdine University in the Men's Division I Tennis Tournament. The story is very fitting as we prepare to take part in the Relay For Life and as we strive to be committed to our team and our teammates.


Waves Advance to the Sweet Sixteen
Courtesy: Pepperdine Sports Information
Release: 05/11/2008

Courtesy: Pepperdine Athletics

MALIBU, Calif. — In an amazing show of heart, strength and determination, Andre Begemann helped lead the Pepperdine men’s tennis team to a 4-2 victory over Stanford University, Saturday afternoon, in round two of the NCAA Division I Tennis Tournament. Begemann had received a phone call from his father in Germany last night, with the news that his mother had just passed away after a long battle with cancer.

“I knew she was very sick on Friday and I wanted to go home,” said Begemann. “I spoke with her Saturday morning and she asked that I stay and play in the tournament. My tennis career meant so much to her.”

Begemann asked Coach Steinberg not to tell the team prior to the match. He wanted his teammates focused on beating Stanford. With only three hours of sleep, a subdued but focused Begemann struggled in doubles, and then came back with a vengeance in singles. It was fitting that his was the first singles match to finish and to tie the match with Stanford. After his victory, he sat on the bench with his head in his hands and a bright red towel wrapped around his neck while he struggled to keep his composure. His performance was nothing short of courageous and a tremendous tribute to a mother who meant the world to him.

“It was the most incredible match I’ve ever coached,” said Coach Adam Steinberg. “Andre played with so much heart under the circumstances. I’ve never coached in a situation like that and I hope I never have to again.”

In front of a crowd of over two hundred spectators, both teams gave it their all. Few among the crowd knew of the personal struggle on court one.

“This is a young man who honored his mother and played his best among the best in the country,” said Pepperdine Athletic Director John Watson. “He played with so much love and emotion that it was overwhelming.”

All too often athletes complain about having a bad day or not feeling well as an excuse to their performance. I think this story puts things into perspective. Most of the things we have to fight through are no where near as significant as Andre's loss. I applaud Andre's decision to stay and play, but it would have been just as courageous for him to go home and be with his family. He made his decision, and regardless of the lack of sleep and the deep emotional pain, he gave his absolute all for his team, his teammates, and his mom.

2 comments:

Coach T said...

I can see you are getting a lot of work done on your paper...
:)

Amy said...

This is a very touching story.